The best way to get your system up and running in the spring is to have JB Irrigation and Services go through your startup procedure. We will be able to check and make sure all the components are working properly and help to ensure that your system is ready to work for the season.
Contact us to schedule an appointment.
If you decide to attempt to start up the irrigation system yourself, please refer to this checklist for important steps to follow.
- Before turning on any water to the system, make sure all manual drain valves are returned to the “closed” position.
- Open the system main water valve slowly to allow pipes to fill with water gradually. If these valves are opened too quickly, sprinkler main lines are subjected to high surge pressures, uncontrolled flow and water hammer.
- Verify the proper operation of each zone valve by manually activating it from the controller.
- Walk through each station on the controller, checking for proper operation of the zone. Check for proper operating pressure (low pressure indicates a line break or missing sprinkler), proper rotation and adjustment of sprinkler heads, and adequate coverage. Check and clean filters on poorly performing sprinklers. Adjust heads to grade as necessary.
- Reprogram the controller for automatic watering. Replace the controller back-up battery if necessary.
- Uncover and clean the system rain sensor, if applicable.
- Finish and clean any in-line filters for drip irrigation zones.